Parent or Career What Will It Be?
Some individuals aspire to have a career and prefer not to have children, and some individuals aspire to be parents and prefer no career. Both options are legitimate. However, many would like to experience both the wonders of parenthood and a thriving career.
Is it possible? The answer used to be “no” or “rarely,” but it is becoming more common to do both and to do them well. How does one find the balance between the rigorous demands of parenting and a career?
When you wish to have both a career and children, you must be good at prioritizing. You will inevitably end up in one or more situations where you will need to make a quick decision on what has to be placed first and what has to be placed second.
Perhaps you are due to attend your child’s school band concert, and a last-minute meeting is arranged at work. It sounds cliché, but these kinds of situations happen. Think about what you would do ahead of time in a hypothetical emergency, and it will be easier to make a split-second decision should the time come.
They have frowned it upon in another generation for mothers to work outside the home, but it is common in most circles. With society’s acceptance of this situation, many resources are available to help you balance children and careers. Check out blogs and other online info for ideas on making life run as smoothly as possible.
There are many childcare options for parents who have a career. From daycare to nannies who come to your home to childcare providers who live with you, there is certainly a situation that will fit your family. Check out your options, and you may be surprised at the great variety available.
It Takes a Village
Use your friends and family. You need not feel that you must be a superhero and carry the full load yourself. See if friends and family would help you out as you navigate the waters of parenting with a career.
Because it is now common for parents to work outside the home, many job options are available to those interested. Ask your employer if they would consider allowing you to work full or part-time from home. Find out if job sharing is available if you cannot commit full-time at this point.
Make Room for “Me Time”
In the middle of the madness, take care of yourself. Put on your life jacket before attempting to put on anyone else’s. Make time to relax, and remember to spoil yourself a little. When you are relaxed, your family and job will both benefit from it.
Have a Partner Who Is on Board
If you are married or in a romantic relationship, find out if your partner is on board. If they shoulder some of the additional work that might naturally occur, it will help. Work as a team, and you will be more effective.
Balancing a career with parenthood is difficult, but it is certainly not impossible. You can do anything you set your mind to. With a little determination and support from your community, you can find the balance and be a success at both.
Parent or Career What Will It Be?
Most Viewed Posts
- Teenage Boys and Social Media
- Problem Solving And Conflict Resolution For Children
- What Is Online Grooming and How Can I Keep My Child Safe?
- How to Avoid the Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with Middle Children
- Positive Parenting Tips For Healthy Child Development
- Parents Need Time Outs Too: Knowing When to Step Back
- Seeing Each Child as an Individual
- Teaching Kids to Care for Their Skin
- Easy Parenting Assessment Example
- Teenage Girls and Social Media
- Dry Skin Remedies For Kids
- Why Picking Your Battles Is Important
- What Are You Teaching Your Child by Being Inconsistent?
- Sun Protection for Your Child
- Essential Back To School Tips For Kids
- Understanding the Inner Workings of Your Teen
- Emotional Changes Found in Adolescent Girls
- Emotional Changes Found in Adolescent Boys
- Recognizing and Respecting Your Partner’s Actions and Boundaries
- Meeting in the Middle When Parenting Ideas Conflict
- How to Train Your Childcare Provider to Meet Your Needs
- Five Ways to Protect Your Child Online
- Signs That Your Child Is Being Bullied Online
- Should Your Child Have Internet Access in Their Bedroom?
- Adjusting Expectations for Every Family Member
- Co-Parenting – How to Handle When Your Child Chooses the Other Parent
- How to Avoid Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with “The Baby” of the Family
- How to Avoid the Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with a First Child
- Importance Of Parenting In Child Development
- Awesome Parenting Skills Checklist
- Summer Skin Care Tips for Kids
- Winter Skin Care Tips for Kids
- Extreme Parenting Moments That Are Funny Only in Hindsight
- Can You Trust Your Parenting Instincts?
- How to be Cool, Calm, and Collected When Kids Push Your Buttons
- Making Parenting Less Expensive
- Parenting Tips in a Food-Obsessed Age
- Parents Needs To Know When to Step Back
- Putting Things into Perspective
- Relax Because They’re Just Kids
- Small Behavior Problems Parents Should Not Ignore
- Stop Managing Your Child’s Life
- Tips for Easing the Transition When Mommy Returns to Work
- Why Is My Child Not Doing What He Is Told
- You Need to Take Care of This
- Kids Craft Projects for Groups
- Crafts for Toddlers
- Kids Crafts for All Seasons
- Educational Crafts for Kids
- Kids Crafts with Live Plants
- Nature Crafts for Kids
- Parent or Career What Will It Be?
- Kids Crafts Using Paper
- Wearable Crafts
- Kid Safe Insect Repellents
- Homemade Toys from Household Items
- Keeping Baby’s Skin Moisturized
- Craft Projects for Older Kids
- When Should a Parent Seek Professional Help for Their Child
- Ways to Discipline Ungrateful Children