Making Parenting Less Expensive
It’s no secret that raising children is expensive. For many of today’s parents, the challenge of making ends meet is much harder than it was for their parents and grandparents. This is due, in part, to rising costs and low-paying wages. The good news is that there ARE ways to make parenting less expensive.
Read further to learn more about a few of them. Saving money is probably easier than you think.
Teach Children Early
Would you mind not waiting until your children are older to teach them that money doesn’t grow on trees? When they ask for things, they learn how to say no without feeling guilty. Consider giving them an age-appropriate allowance for doing their homework (without being asked) or doing simple chores around the house. This way, you can break the habit of your kids asking for something every time you leave the house.
There is a lot to be said about comparison shopping and taking advantage of sales and discount days. This takes more time than just running into the store quickly to pick something up. But, if you have time to shop around, you’ll save big time.
Also, remember that there’s nothing wrong with buying certain things in “gently used” condition. Shopping at thrift stores doesn’t mean that you’re poor; it means that you’re a smart shopper.
Cook at Home
When you’re a parent, there never seems to be enough time in a day. Don’t let time constraints allow you to get in the habit of eating out. Cooking at home from scratch is so much more affordable. If your schedule is hectic, try “batch cooking” one or two days a week. You can successfully freeze almost anything. Pull something out of the freezer the night before. In the morning, toss it in a slow cooker. You be surprised at the money you’ll save.
Create a Support Network
With things like childcare, try to create a support network. Talk to two or three other moms about swapping childcare duties. The more you can trade-off with other moms, the less you have to pay for expensive day-to-day care. Doing so also allows you (as parents) to enjoy an occasional “date night” when the mood hits.
Look for After-School Alternatives
After-school activities can be quite expensive. Look for alternatives offered by your local park system, the library, or even the YMCA. In addition, check out the community calendar on sites like craigslist.org and your local news websites. Many times, you’ll find listings for free concerts, classes, and other family-related activities.
Armed with this information and taking advantage of some of these tips should make parenting less expensive. You can even go one step further and create a budget if you like. By sticking to it as much as possible, you’ll probably be able to save money and still be one of the coolest parents on the block! Why not get started today?
Making Parenting Less Expensive
Most Viewed Posts
- Teenage Boys and Social Media
- Problem Solving And Conflict Resolution For Children
- What Is Online Grooming and How Can I Keep My Child Safe?
- How to Avoid the Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with Middle Children
- Positive Parenting Tips For Healthy Child Development
- Parents Need Time Outs Too: Knowing When to Step Back
- Seeing Each Child as an Individual
- Teaching Kids to Care for Their Skin
- Easy Parenting Assessment Example
- Teenage Girls and Social Media
- Dry Skin Remedies For Kids
- Why Picking Your Battles Is Important
- What Are You Teaching Your Child by Being Inconsistent?
- Sun Protection for Your Child
- Essential Back To School Tips For Kids
- Understanding the Inner Workings of Your Teen
- Emotional Changes Found in Adolescent Girls
- Emotional Changes Found in Adolescent Boys
- Recognizing and Respecting Your Partner’s Actions and Boundaries
- Meeting in the Middle When Parenting Ideas Conflict
- How to Train Your Childcare Provider to Meet Your Needs
- Five Ways to Protect Your Child Online
- Signs That Your Child Is Being Bullied Online
- Should Your Child Have Internet Access in Their Bedroom?
- Adjusting Expectations for Every Family Member
- Co-Parenting – How to Handle When Your Child Chooses the Other Parent
- How to Avoid Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with “The Baby” of the Family
- How to Avoid the Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with a First Child
- Importance Of Parenting In Child Development
- Awesome Parenting Skills Checklist
- Summer Skin Care Tips for Kids
- Winter Skin Care Tips for Kids
- Extreme Parenting Moments That Are Funny Only in Hindsight
- Can You Trust Your Parenting Instincts?
- How to be Cool, Calm, and Collected When Kids Push Your Buttons
- Making Parenting Less Expensive
- Parenting Tips in a Food-Obsessed Age
- Parents Needs To Know When to Step Back
- Putting Things into Perspective
- Relax Because They’re Just Kids
- Small Behavior Problems Parents Should Not Ignore
- Stop Managing Your Child’s Life
- Tips for Easing the Transition When Mommy Returns to Work
- Why Is My Child Not Doing What He Is Told
- You Need to Take Care of This
- Kids Craft Projects for Groups
- Crafts for Toddlers
- Kids Crafts for All Seasons
- Educational Crafts for Kids
- Kids Crafts with Live Plants
- Nature Crafts for Kids
- Parent or Career What Will It Be?
- Kids Crafts Using Paper
- Wearable Crafts
- Kid Safe Insect Repellents
- Homemade Toys from Household Items
- Keeping Baby’s Skin Moisturized
- Craft Projects for Older Kids
- When Should a Parent Seek Professional Help for Their Child
- Ways to Discipline Ungrateful Children