Fitness Tips to Help Prevent Childhood Obesity
It’s been said that inactivity is a prime contributor to childhood obesity. Kids’ weight used to take care of itself mostly because kids were so naturally active in the past.
They still are! It’s just that nowadays, that natural active nature gets lost in the fascination with television screens, computer games, and so forth. It needs to be reawakened.
So how can you encourage your child to get active? Here are some fitness tips to prevent childhood obesity.
Given the proper motivation, kids gravitate toward physical activity. For example, if you put a group of kids together in a gymnasium with a couple of balls, they will soon run around and playing games. So why not try that?
Turn your kids loose with nothing but a ball, Frisbee, beanbags, or the like, and see what they do. Try to get together with other kids and let it be a get-together without screen time.
There are lots of games that involve movement and physical activity. Relay races, duck-duck-goose, backyard football, and other activities can get kids of all ages moving.
Schedule It In
It can take a while for a recent addition to your lifestyle to take hold unless you schedule it in. Otherwise, you might forget or not get around to it. So once you have your activities in mind, write them into your schedule. Maybe you could take some of that television time for your family activities.
Make a play date with your children! It will be good for you as well as them. Play outside or inside – play an active game. Maybe a nice hike or bike ride suits your family dynamic, or perhaps you like horseshoes on the lawn or a dance party indoors. Choose something that fits your children’s temperament to encourage involvement.
Talk about It
Mention the importance of keeping fit for your kids. You don’t have to sit them down and give them a big lecture, but make healthy talk a part of your everyday conversations. Mention it, talk about it, and include it in your conversations.
Point out healthy foods and unhealthy ones, and talk about what sugar and fat do to your body when it’s appropriate. It will sink in overtime.
Get Regular Check-Ups
One thing that your pediatrician will do in a regular check-up is weighed your child. If there is a problem with their weight, your doctor will tell you and help you plan for weight loss. Sometimes, as parents, we don’t notice a problem a doctor can see problems we might miss.
Fitness Tips to Help Prevent Childhood Obesity
Most Viewed Posts
- Teenage Boys and Social Media
- Problem Solving And Conflict Resolution For Children
- What Is Online Grooming and How Can I Keep My Child Safe?
- How to Avoid the Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with Middle Children
- Positive Parenting Tips For Healthy Child Development
- Parents Need Time Outs Too: Knowing When to Step Back
- Seeing Each Child as an Individual
- Teaching Kids to Care for Their Skin
- Easy Parenting Assessment Example
- Teenage Girls and Social Media
- Dry Skin Remedies For Kids
- Why Picking Your Battles Is Important
- What Are You Teaching Your Child by Being Inconsistent?
- Sun Protection for Your Child
- Essential Back To School Tips For Kids
- Understanding the Inner Workings of Your Teen
- Emotional Changes Found in Adolescent Girls
- Emotional Changes Found in Adolescent Boys
- Recognizing and Respecting Your Partner’s Actions and Boundaries
- Meeting in the Middle When Parenting Ideas Conflict
- How to Train Your Childcare Provider to Meet Your Needs
- Five Ways to Protect Your Child Online
- Signs That Your Child Is Being Bullied Online
- Should Your Child Have Internet Access in Their Bedroom?
- Adjusting Expectations for Every Family Member
- Co-Parenting – How to Handle When Your Child Chooses the Other Parent
- How to Avoid Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with “The Baby” of the Family
- How to Avoid the Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with a First Child
- Importance Of Parenting In Child Development
- Awesome Parenting Skills Checklist
- Summer Skin Care Tips for Kids
- Winter Skin Care Tips for Kids
- Extreme Parenting Moments That Are Funny Only in Hindsight
- Can You Trust Your Parenting Instincts?
- How to be Cool, Calm, and Collected When Kids Push Your Buttons
- Making Parenting Less Expensive
- Parenting Tips in a Food-Obsessed Age
- Parents Needs To Know When to Step Back
- Putting Things into Perspective
- Relax Because They’re Just Kids
- Small Behavior Problems Parents Should Not Ignore
- Stop Managing Your Child’s Life
- Tips for Easing the Transition When Mommy Returns to Work
- Why Is My Child Not Doing What He Is Told
- You Need to Take Care of This
- Kids Craft Projects for Groups
- Crafts for Toddlers
- Kids Crafts for All Seasons
- Educational Crafts for Kids
- Kids Crafts with Live Plants
- Nature Crafts for Kids
- Parent or Career What Will It Be?
- Kids Crafts Using Paper
- Wearable Crafts
- Kid Safe Insect Repellents
- Homemade Toys from Household Items
- Keeping Baby’s Skin Moisturized
- Craft Projects for Older Kids
- When Should a Parent Seek Professional Help for Their Child
- Ways to Discipline Ungrateful Children