Easy Ways to Instill Your Values in Your Teen
Although in most cases you are a parent to your child from the time your child is a newborn, the teens years are where your child’s values are cemented into them and become a part of them that will continue into their future.
You can do a lot during the teenage years to encourage your child to hold fast to the values you have brought them up with to this point. Here are a few ideas to encourage this.
Continue to Build a Close Relationship between You and Your Child
One of the most important things you can do for your child is to maintain a close relationship with them through these crucial years. Be the listening ear your teenager needs and be their friend and their parent. Spend quality time with them and consider them when deciding.
Practice What You Preach
No child responds well to a hypocrite. If you live one way and tell your child to live another, they will learn from your example rather than your words. If you tell your child to obey the law but text while driving and consistently drive over the speed limit, your child will see through you and learn to disobey the law just as you do.
Don’t Be Pushy
It is difficult to be in when you desperately want your child to inherit your values while trying not to be pushy about it. When you force your thoughts and beliefs on children, they will most often rebel against them and walk away to choose their path. Share your values with your teen, but let them choose their direction.
Your child may grow up, but they still need basic care to help them do their best. Don’t be heavy with rules, but do still have the important ones in place. Don’t be afraid to say “no” when necessary and be firm about your parenting decisions.
Carefully Choose the People Who Are Around Your Family
It is crucial that you use wisdom when deciding who will influence your child during their younger childhood and teen years. The people you allow around yourself and your child will become a loud voice in their lives. Give this position only to those whom you trust and whose life principles you admire.
Although parenting during the teen years can be quite stressful, try to enjoy the ride. Would you mind not getting so involved in worrying about your child’s future that you forget to enjoy the time you spend with them now? Stay calm and be the most peaceful parent you can be.
Parenting teenagers can be stressful partly because you want your child to grow up to be a decent person who lives by strong values. Sometimes, we can shift the focus from a relationship to pushing our beliefs onto them.
Be firm, disciplined, consistent, and loving, and you see that your child picks up many of your values simply by seeing you live them. Enjoy these years and watch your child grow to become the wonderful, responsible adult you envision them to be.
Easy Ways to Instill Your Values in Your Teen
Most Viewed Posts
- Teenage Boys and Social Media
- Problem Solving And Conflict Resolution For Children
- What Is Online Grooming and How Can I Keep My Child Safe?
- How to Avoid the Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with Middle Children
- Positive Parenting Tips For Healthy Child Development
- Parents Need Time Outs Too: Knowing When to Step Back
- Seeing Each Child as an Individual
- Teaching Kids to Care for Their Skin
- Easy Parenting Assessment Example
- Teenage Girls and Social Media
- Dry Skin Remedies For Kids
- Why Picking Your Battles Is Important
- What Are You Teaching Your Child by Being Inconsistent?
- Sun Protection for Your Child
- Essential Back To School Tips For Kids
- Understanding the Inner Workings of Your Teen
- Emotional Changes Found in Adolescent Girls
- Emotional Changes Found in Adolescent Boys
- Recognizing and Respecting Your Partner’s Actions and Boundaries
- Meeting in the Middle When Parenting Ideas Conflict
- How to Train Your Childcare Provider to Meet Your Needs
- Five Ways to Protect Your Child Online
- Signs That Your Child Is Being Bullied Online
- Should Your Child Have Internet Access in Their Bedroom?
- Adjusting Expectations for Every Family Member
- Co-Parenting – How to Handle When Your Child Chooses the Other Parent
- How to Avoid Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with “The Baby” of the Family
- How to Avoid the Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with a First Child
- Importance Of Parenting In Child Development
- Awesome Parenting Skills Checklist
- Summer Skin Care Tips for Kids
- Winter Skin Care Tips for Kids
- Extreme Parenting Moments That Are Funny Only in Hindsight
- Can You Trust Your Parenting Instincts?
- How to be Cool, Calm, and Collected When Kids Push Your Buttons
- Making Parenting Less Expensive
- Parenting Tips in a Food-Obsessed Age
- Parents Needs To Know When to Step Back
- Putting Things into Perspective
- Relax Because They’re Just Kids
- Small Behavior Problems Parents Should Not Ignore
- Stop Managing Your Child’s Life
- Tips for Easing the Transition When Mommy Returns to Work
- Why Is My Child Not Doing What He Is Told
- You Need to Take Care of This
- Kids Craft Projects for Groups
- Crafts for Toddlers
- Kids Crafts for All Seasons
- Educational Crafts for Kids
- Kids Crafts with Live Plants
- Nature Crafts for Kids
- Parent or Career What Will It Be?
- Kids Crafts Using Paper
- Wearable Crafts
- Kid Safe Insect Repellents
- Homemade Toys from Household Items
- Keeping Baby’s Skin Moisturized
- Craft Projects for Older Kids
- When Should a Parent Seek Professional Help for Their Child
- Ways to Discipline Ungrateful Children