5 Tips To Help New Parents Get Some Sleep
The joy of a new baby is certainly special and something that all new parents experience. However, a lack of sleep is also part of having a new baby, and new parents notoriously get very little sleep, if any at all.
Fortunately, some strategies and tips help new parents get some sleep when the new baby comes. Of course, with a baby, you will never get an overabundance of sleep, but these tips will help you at least get enough sleep to keep your sanity.
- Tip #1 Take Turns
When the baby starts crying, both parents generally wake up, even if only one attends to the baby. However, in the first couple of months, both parents might get up each time the baby cries. This will lead to a lack of sleep for both parents. The best plan is for mom and dad to decide who will get up when to comfort the crying baby. Generally, taking turns is the best option and will help everyone get just a little more sleep.
- Tip #2 Nap With Baby
If you care for the baby and are tired and the baby goes to sleep, you should take a nap. This will allow you to get some much-needed sleep. So, whether the baby naps in the morning, afternoon, or early evening you should also get a little rest because you never know when the baby might wake up.
- Tip #3 Accept Help
Frequently when you have a new baby, there are plenty of people willing to help, from parents, siblings, friends, and other family members. So, when you need to get some sleep, accept some of the help that is being offered. Having your mom care for the baby for just a couple of hours will allow you to get some much-needed sleep.
- Tip #4 Keep Baby in Nursery
The baby should sleep in the nursery and not with the parents. It is often tempting to allow the baby to sleep with the parents, but this is not healthy for the child or the parents. So, put the baby to sleep in his crib in the nursery. Then, when the baby cries, one parent can easily attend to the baby without disturbing the other parent. This allows a little more sleep for new parents.
- Tip #5 Feed Baby Before You Sleep
If your baby has been asleep for several hours and is around 11 pm, and you are getting ready for bed, wake the baby for a feeding. Most babies wake during the night because they are hungry, so if you feed the baby late before you go to bed, they will likely sleep until early morning or 6-7 hours. This will allow you to get some continuous sleep, even if it is not as much as you want.
5 Tips To Help New Parents Get Some Sleep
Most Viewed Posts
- Teenage Boys and Social Media
- Problem Solving And Conflict Resolution For Children
- What Is Online Grooming and How Can I Keep My Child Safe?
- How to Avoid the Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with Middle Children
- Positive Parenting Tips For Healthy Child Development
- Parents Need Time Outs Too: Knowing When to Step Back
- Seeing Each Child as an Individual
- Teaching Kids to Care for Their Skin
- Easy Parenting Assessment Example
- Teenage Girls and Social Media
- Dry Skin Remedies For Kids
- Why Picking Your Battles Is Important
- What Are You Teaching Your Child by Being Inconsistent?
- Sun Protection for Your Child
- Essential Back To School Tips For Kids
- Understanding the Inner Workings of Your Teen
- Emotional Changes Found in Adolescent Girls
- Emotional Changes Found in Adolescent Boys
- Recognizing and Respecting Your Partner’s Actions and Boundaries
- Meeting in the Middle When Parenting Ideas Conflict
- How to Train Your Childcare Provider to Meet Your Needs
- Five Ways to Protect Your Child Online
- Signs That Your Child Is Being Bullied Online
- Should Your Child Have Internet Access in Their Bedroom?
- Adjusting Expectations for Every Family Member
- Co-Parenting – How to Handle When Your Child Chooses the Other Parent
- How to Avoid Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with “The Baby” of the Family
- How to Avoid the Parenting Mistakes Commonly Made with a First Child
- Importance Of Parenting In Child Development
- Awesome Parenting Skills Checklist
- Summer Skin Care Tips for Kids
- Winter Skin Care Tips for Kids
- Extreme Parenting Moments That Are Funny Only in Hindsight
- Can You Trust Your Parenting Instincts?
- How to be Cool, Calm, and Collected When Kids Push Your Buttons
- Making Parenting Less Expensive
- Parenting Tips in a Food-Obsessed Age
- Parents Needs To Know When to Step Back
- Putting Things into Perspective
- Relax Because They’re Just Kids
- Small Behavior Problems Parents Should Not Ignore
- Stop Managing Your Child’s Life
- Tips for Easing the Transition When Mommy Returns to Work
- Why Is My Child Not Doing What He Is Told
- You Need to Take Care of This
- Kids Craft Projects for Groups
- Crafts for Toddlers
- Kids Crafts for All Seasons
- Educational Crafts for Kids
- Kids Crafts with Live Plants
- Nature Crafts for Kids
- Parent or Career What Will It Be?
- Kids Crafts Using Paper
- Wearable Crafts
- Kid Safe Insect Repellents
- Homemade Toys from Household Items
- Keeping Baby’s Skin Moisturized
- Craft Projects for Older Kids
- When Should a Parent Seek Professional Help for Their Child
- Ways to Discipline Ungrateful Children